Deadline: July 30 2021
Applications for the New York Academy of Sciences “1000 Girls, 1000 Futures” Program 2020 are now open. The program is a groundbreaking initiative designed to engage young women interested in science, technology, engineering, and math, and advance their pursuit of STEM careers through mentoring and 21st-century skills development.
This program is free because the New York Academy of Sciences believes in the expanded involvement of girls and women in STEM. They believe that layered mentoring from peers and relatable role models will bring important future scientists, mathematicians, technologists, engineers, innovators, and leaders into the career pipeline. They believe that you can’t be what you can’t see, and they want to show you a wide variety of girls and women who are already leaders across the spectrum of STEM specialities.
How Does The 1000 Futures, 1000 Futures Program Work?
The New York Academy of Sciences invites young women ages 13-17 around the world to join 1000 Girls 1000 Futures to receive mentorship from female STEM experts, gain access to college readiness and leadership coursework, and network with other girls passionate about STEM!
1000 Girls 1000 Futures empowers young women to learn independently and work collaboratively on Launchpad, the Academy’s unique online learning platform. On Launchpad, students complete the coursework at their own pace and apply their skills to work on different projects with their peers. Mentors are available to guide students throughout the program, from navigating the college application process to setting career goals.
- Mentoring from real scientists and engineers in the 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures network.
- Coursework, completed at your own pace, emphasizing college readiness, leadership, communication, and critical thinking.
- The opportunity to network with an awesome group of peers and female STEM professionals through social interaction, message boards, online events, and activities such as an optional Book Club. This is a safe, fun place to be a smart girl!
Eligibility For The New York Academy of Sciences “1000 Girls, 1000 Futures” Program
- Open to girls around the world;
- Aged 13-17 years old currently enrolled in high school or an equivalent;
- Are enthusiastic about science, technology, engineering or math (STEM).
Qualified mentors for 1000 Girls 1000 Futures are:
- Self-identified women who are either pursuing a PhD in a STEM-related field OR currently working in a STEM-related field
- Able to access at least one communication device with internet capabilities
- Able to communicate clearly in spoken and written English
- Able to commit to 3-5 hours of program training and participation in the program monthly from September to June
- Passionate about engaging and inspiring the next generation of young women around the world
1000 Girls 1000 Futures participants are enthusiastic learners with a passion for science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
- Age: 13–17 years old.
- Location: Anywhere in the world.
- Language: All program content and communication on the platform is in English, and a strong level of English proficiency is required. Students’ English proficiency will be assessed during the application process.
- Time Commitment: Students will complete the coursework at their own pace and set their schedule to meet with the mentors during the program year from September to June.
- Cost: None. 1000 Girls 1000 Futures is completely free for participating students.
Key Dates For The 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures Program
Application Opens: April 12th, 2021
Application Deadline: July 31st, 2021
Decision Notification will be sent by mid-September 2021
You will be notified of the admission decision by mid-September. To accept the admission offer, you will need to submit a signed Parental Consent Form within a week of notification. Once all the information is verified, an email invitation will be sent to you to join Launchpad.
For more information, visit 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures.