AGNES-BAYER Science Foundation is pleased to announce the Call for Applications for the “AGNES-BAYER Science Foundation Research Grant for Biodiversity Conservation & Sustainable Agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa”.
This grant is funded by the BAYER Foundation and with the support of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH). The Grant is for Junior Researchers (PhD students) and aims to strengthen the scientific capacity of young scholars in Africa.
The AGNES-BAYER Research Grant for Biodiversity Conservation & Sustainable Agriculture in sub- Saharan Africa enables doctoral students from sub-Saharan African countries to undertake outstanding research activities in the field of biodiversity conservation and sustainable agriculture.
The proposed activities must be part of the doctoral research, including but not limited to field experiment and data collection or laboratory studies. Eligible junior researchers need to demonstrate the relevance of their work to further the development of their home countries in sub-Sahara Africa.
The Grant aims to support African PhD students for fieldwork activities. A maximum grant of EUR 7000 will be awarded to each successful applicant.
II. Eligibility and Application Process
Direct applications from junior researchers having published at least 1 scientific paper (in a non- predatory journal) will be considered for the grant. The applicant should be from Biodiversity conservation and/or Sustainable Agriculture discipline.
He/she must be officially registered for Doctoral degree at a university/tertiary institute in sub-Sahara Africa, must be a national of a sub- Saharan African country, and must have published at least one paper (in a non-predatory journal). Applicants must demonstrate clearly that their work is relevant to development in sub-Saharan
Required Documents (Maximum size= 8Mb)
Complete applications must include the following:
- A short research/project proposal (not more than 5 pages) from the junior scientist (applicant) with a short outline of the proposed fieldwork activities and a work schedule for achieving the objectives of the research
- A standard CV of the applicant (use the template attached) and official proof of registration for the postgraduate degree (only current Doctoral students are eligible).
- A copy of the official Academic transcripts of the applicant, reflecting the grades obtained in the undergraduate and any postgraduate Please supply the official explanation of the grading system.
- A list of published articles in non-predatory journals (include an e-copy or screenshot of at least the Title/Author page).
- A detailed budget of the planned activities.
I. Amount and Use of the Grant
The maximum budget of the grant is EUR 7000. This once-off Grant cannot be used to refund previous fieldwork activities. The recipient of the Grant and her/his supervisor must both send a signed letter of acceptance and contractual agreement to the Governing Board of AGNES within seven days of receipt of the offer.
On completion of the PhD, Grantees and supervisors are both expected to make reports to AGNES on the progress and success of the work (scientific publications).
II. Selection Meeting
A selection meeting will be held in July 2021 and only selected candidates will be notified. Commencement of research activities will be earliest on the 15th of August 2021 and latest the 30th of October 2021.
All applications MUST reach the AGNES desk by June 30th, 2021 at 00.00 GMT. All applications MUST be submitted in English.
For more details please download the application documents and conditions
See more opportunities here
If you have any questions, please, contact:
- Marcel Donou (Programme manager). Email: email@example.com
- Dr. Zachary Getenga (Secretary of AGNES). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Dr. Romain Glèlè Kakaï (Chair of AGNES). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org